Why Choose Cloth Diapers
- You’re saving 300 lbs of wood if you use AppleCheeks reusable diapers on your little one. That’s because it takes that many trees to produce enough diapers to throwaway-diaper one child.
- You’re helping to slow the growth of our landfills. It is estimated that we throw out 600 million throwaway diapers every year in Quebec alone. That’s the equivalent of 6000 garbage trucks JUST for diapers!! In Canada we throw out 4 million diapers PER DAY.
- You’re helping to reduce the amount of waste that sits in a landfill. In ideal conditions it would take 250 – 500 years for a single throwaway diaper to decompose. The conditions in our landfills are unfortunately not ideal, so decomposition takes much longer than that, even. Your cloth diapers will last you through two to three babies, at which point they can be used as cleaning cloths. After that, cut them up in small pieces and throw them in your compost and they can be helping to fertilize your garden the next year!
- You’re saving a TON of money: From the moment she is born until 30 months of age, your baby will go through approximately 5400 throwaway diapers. This can cost you anywhere from $1500 – $2500. By choosing to cloth diaper your child, you can spend as little as $550 for the entire diapering experience (based on our least expensive package). AND…not only does this represent significant savings for one child, but the SAME cloth diapers could last through two and even three children! You will be saving a minimum of $2000!! Think of what you could do with the money… a family vacation comes to mind…
- You’re supporting the Canadian economy as all our diapering products are proudly designed and manufactured in Montreal, Quebec, Canada!
Concerned about the amount of water you are consuming by choosing to wash diapers instead of throwing them away? Even by washing every three days, you are still consuming considerably less water than it takes to produce the diapers you throwaway. Pulp and paper mills are built on rivers for a reason…
Based on 2008 Hydro Quebec rates it will cost you:
- $0.38 for a hot wash
- $0.18 for a warm wash
- $0.03 for a cold wash
A dryer cycle (and we only sell products that will dry in one dryer cycle) will cost you a grand total of $0.17 cents!
So washing your diapers every three days will raise your energy bill by a grand total of approximately $68.80 per year!