Diaper Care Instructions
IMPORTANT: Washing your AppleCheeks covers with other covers with velcro fasteners may cause snagging and fraying of the overlocked edges of your diaper.
We have stopped recommending brands as there is no one brand that will work for everyone. However, good bets are Tide Free (or Free and Clear), Nature Clean Powder, Claudia’s Choices, Lulu’s in the Fluff and Nellie’s.
For a list of detergents reviewed by moms, please click here:
Important! Before your first use of your diapers:
- All diapering products should be prewashed at least once prior to use. Bamboo inserts should be washed three times on hot and dried once on hot to ensure optimal absorbency.
Preparing your Diapers:
- Fold insert in thirds.
- Lay insert on top of diaper cover, or insert into envelope opening; using the cover/insert method, you can change your insert up to three times before changing your cover, assuming it does not get too soiled. If you prefer the envelope cover method, expect to use one insert per cover.
- For easier disposal of solid feces, we suggest the use of a flushable, biodegradable liner.
- Put the diaper on your baby and adjust the size using the snaps: first the row at the thighs, then the row at the waist.
- Attach snap at leg level before attempting to attach snap at tummy level.
- The leg and tummy snaps do not have to be at the same setting (i.e. – tummy snap can be on snap number two from middle and leg snap on snap number three from middle).
- The diaper fits correctly when you can get one finger between the elastic and your baby’s skin.
- We suggest fully extending the leg elastic by pulling out the wing PRIOR to snapping the diaper
- For nightime use, for naps or for extended periods, consider increasing absorbency by adding boosters or additional inserts.
How to Change the Diaper
- Empty all solids into the toilet.
- If the cover is still clean, add another insert and replace the diaper onto your baby. If it is too wet, choose a new diaper.
- After changing your baby, store soiled diapers in our waterproof, odour-proof AppleCheeks Storage Sac until time to wash.
- PRIOR TO WASH: After making sure that all solids have been emptied into the toilet, run a cold pre-rinse or small cold wash in the machine, or a rinse under cold water. Breast milk-only feces do not need to be removed from the diapers prior to washing as they are water-soluble.
- MACHINE WASH Run the heavy-duty/full wash cycle with hot water (60°C) and very little of a residue-free, scent-free, softener-free, glycerin-free detergent on the double rinse option.
- If you use a top loader, use 1/4 cup of detergent OR LESS.
- See our website for our list of recommended brands of detergents.
- If you use a front loader, use a maximum of 1/8 cup of detergent.
- Envelope covers may be washed with regular clothing according to the above recommendations.
- We recommend hanging your AppleCheeks covers and Storage Sacs to dry whenever possible as this will extend the life of your covers.
- Covers and Storage Sacs can be machine dried on LOW.
- Inserts can be machine-dried on HOT or hung to dry.
- AppleCheeks covers can be washed with AppleCheeks inserts.
- We recommend not hanging your covers over a radiator or any other dry heat source as this will prematurely dry out your elastics and shorten the life of your covers.
- Avoid contact with all bleaches and fabric softeners in any form.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight (covers only).
- Never use a fabric softener of any sort on your diapers as this will cause your diapers to repel all liquids and decrease absorption capacity.
- Avoid using dryer sheets in your laundry in general.
- To store your covers between babies, vacuum pack in a dark, climate-controlled environment, away from any heat source
- To store your covers between babies, vaccuum pack in a dark, climate-controlled environment, away from any heat source.