Diaper Care Instructions
IMPORTANT: Washing your AppleCheeks covers with other covers with velcro fasteners may cause snagging and fraying of the overlocked edges of your diaper.
We have stopped recommending brands as there is no one brand that will work for everyone. However, good bets are Tide Free (or Free and Clear), Nature Clean Powder, Claudia’s Choices, Lulu’s in the Fluff and Nellie’s.
For a list of detergents reviewed by moms, please click here:
Important! Before your first use of your diapers:
- All diapering products should be prewashed at least once prior to use. Bamboo inserts should be washed three times on hot and dried once on hot to ensure optimal absorbency.
Preparing your Diapers:
- Fold insert in thirds.
- Lay insert on top of diaper cover, or insert into envelope opening; using the cover/insert method, you can change your insert up to three times before changing your cover, assuming it does not get too soiled. If you prefer the envelope cover method, expect to use one insert per cover.
- For easier disposal of solid feces, we suggest the use of a flushable, biodegradable liner.
- Put the diaper on your baby and adjust the size using the snaps: first the row at the thighs, then the row at the waist.
- Attach snap at leg level before attempting to attach snap at tummy level.
- The leg and tummy snaps do not have to be at the same setting (i.e. – tummy snap can be on snap number two from middle and leg snap on snap number three from middle).
- The diaper fits correctly when you can get one finger between the elastic and your baby’s skin.
- We suggest fully extending the leg elastic by pulling out the wing PRIOR to snapping the diaper
- For nightime use, for naps or for extended periods, consider increasing absorbency by adding boosters or additional inserts.
How to Change the Diaper
- Empty all solids into the toilet.
- If the cover is still clean, add another insert and replace the diaper onto your baby. If it is too wet, choose a new diaper.
- After changing your baby, store soiled diapers in our waterproof, odour-proof AppleCheeks Storage Sac until time to wash.
Storage Between Washes
Soiled diapers should be stored in a water-resistant, odour-proof AppleCheeksTM Storage Sac between uses. Removing solid feces prior to placing soiled diaper in the Storage Sac is highly recommended. DO NOT RINSE DIAPER OR IMMERSE IN WATER prior to storage.
Water, as you know, eats away at EVERYTHING over time. Though we feel we have found the materials that are most resilient for the assigned purpose while at the same time being environmentally respectable and also soft and attractive, the fact is that the longer that PUL and elastic sit wet, the faster they will wear out, plain and simple.
The best way to preserve your diapers between washes is to keep them as dry as possible between washes, and to follow the rest of our care instructions.
We do have a beautifully soft and biodegradable flushable liner that is amazing for removing poop from diaper. Granted, it is a disposable product and a lot of you would say that this defeats the purpose of a reusable product, however, in the long term you will diapers that last and don’t need replacing as often.
Prior to Washing
After making sure that all solids have been emptied into the toilet run a cold pre-rinse or small cold wash in the machine. Breast milk only feces do not need to be removed from the diapers prior to washing as they are water soluble. To facilitate the removal of any solids, we suggest AppleCheeksTM Disposable Diaper Liners.
- Fabric softeners
- Natural oils
- UV brighteners
- Stain guard ingredients
- Enzymes (can cause rashes on some babies’ skin)
- Please be cautious about using vinegar and/or baking soda, as they can together or individually cause delamination
We recommend hanging your AppleCheeksTM covers and Storage Sacs to dry whenever possible as this will extend the life of your covers. Covers and Storage Sacs can be machine dried as well. The maximum suggested temperature is 50 degree C / 130 degree F. The best way to dry is at ‘delicate setting’ and then with air only (no heat). Inserts can be machine-dried on medium or hung to dry. Note that if you choose to hang your inserts to dry, a quick spin in the dryer while they are just a little bit damp will lead to softer, fluffier inserts.
We recommend not hanging your covers over a radiator or any other dry heat source as this will prematurely dry out your elastics, can lead to melted laminate, and shorten the life of your covers. Avoid contact with all bleaches and fabric softeners in any form. Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight (covers only) and on high UV days. We recommend only line drying before 10am and after 4pm on sunny, summer days, and never in direct sunlight as this can lead to drying of the urethane laminate and cracking. Never use a fabric softener of any sort on your diapers as this will cause your diapers to repel all liquids and decrease absorption capacity. Avoid using dryer sheets in your laundry in general.
To store your covers between babies, vaccuum pack in a dark, climate-controlled environment, away from any heat source. This will not guarantee survival of elastics, however, the elastics can easily be replaced in our diapers. Visit blog.applecheeks.com for a tutorial.
If you’d like your own copy of these care instructions, they can be downloaded here.